Reviewed by: Bethany
Page count: 336 pages
Rating: 4/5 stars
In stock: Yes, and it’s 25% off
Not only is the book humorous, it’s Schumer-ous (shout out to me for making the pun of the century). A good chunk of this book is basically Amy Schumer’s self-deprecating comedy routine in print form, so if you like that, then maybe read this book.
As well, if you’re a fan of either her show or her standup and you’re hoping to get a better idea of who Amy is off-stage, then this book is a great start. You might learn something! For example, did you know that Amy is an introvert who enjoys putting pasta on her pizza? What a fun anecdote to share at the next cocktail party you attend!
Memoirs by ladies in comedy seem to be the only form of nonfiction that I willingly gravitate towards. Anyway, I feel like I’m well-versed enough in that genre to say that The Girl with the Lower Back Tattoo is on par with the writings of Mindy Kaling or Tina Fey. It’s an appropriate mix of humor and heart. This book definitely gave me the giggles, but a lot of the content is intensely personal and candid. Amy writes with the cautionary tone of a big sister who doesn’t want you to make the same mistakes as she did.
Here’s a list of reasons to read this book:
- The jokes.
- The book club you were forced to join is doing it and you don’t want to fake your way through the next meeting. “Yes, I really enjoyed the part with the words…”
- You feel like feeling empowered. There’s a great essay on body image that made me feel like an angry suffragette.
- You always wanted to read Stieg Larsson’s Millennium Series, but you couldn’t get past all of the financial jargon. This is the next best thing.
- High quality colour photographs on slippery paper! You’ll even get to see the aforementioned lower back tattoo. (You really get your money’s worth.)
- It has Tilda Swinton’s stamp of approval and hers is the only one that matters (probably).
- You want to be friends with me. This will really help speed up the process.
There’s also some useful information at the very end on how you can help to combat gun violence!